Filing Complaints

For all ​Department of Environmental Health (DEH) complaints, Consumer Protection Division (CPD), Hazardous Materials Compliance Division (HMCD), Solid Waste Program (SWP) or Vector Control District (VCD) please submit your complaint using the web form.

What type of complaints does the Department of Environmental Health handle?

  • Food Safety:​
    • We investigate all complaints concerning retail food facilities. Places such as restaurants, bars, bakeries, and grocery stores that sell food and beverages directly to the consumer.
    • If you need to file a food poisoning complaint, please use the foodborne illness form. You will be directed to another site to complete this complaint. Please be prepared to provide the following information:
      • The name and address of the food facility​.
      • Your name and phone number as well as the names of other who ate with you.
      • A count of those people that also became ill and those that were not ill.
      • Information about your illness: the time you ate; the time you became ill; the symptoms you experienced; and the length of time your illness lasted.
      • List of all the food and beverages that were consumed by you and each person you were with.
      • Whether you saw a physician and if you have lab results
    • We do not investigate complaints which involve the manufacturing and distribution of foods and beverages that are sold at the wholesale level. All wholesale, canned and other prepackaged foods, especially those containing meat, poultry, seafood and dairy products are handled by the State of California or the United States Food and Drug Administration. For products produced in California, contact the California Department of Public Health Services Food and Drug Branch​ (FDB) Consumer Complaint Hotline at 1-800-495-3232. For products produced outside of California, contact the U.S. Food and Drug Administration​ at 408-291-7548.
    • We do not investigate complaints unrelated to food safety such as level of service received. These types of complaints are not within our legal jurisdiction and they should be directed to the food facility manager, owner, or corporate office.
  • Swimming Pools & Spas:
    • CPD inspects all swimming pools and spas at apartments, condos, hotels and motels, health clubs, schools, community associations, commercials buildings, trailer and mobile home parks, clubs, campgrounds, and water theme parks. This include i​ssues such as broken pool enclosures, missing safety euipent, or illmessess suspected of being contracted through public swimming pools or spas.
    • Vector Control District will inspect private pools or spas maintained by individuals for the use of family and friends if there is possible mosquito breeding and treatment may be required.​
  • Garbage and Trash:
    • SWP handles garbage complaints in all restaurants and in residential or commercial lots in the unincorporated area of the county.
    • SWP does not investigate garbage complaints in residential or commercial lots within city limits. These complaints are handled by the appropriate city code enforcement department.
  • Sewage Overflow:
    • ​​CPD will respond to sewage overflow complaints in unincorporated areas of the county and from properties with septic tanks or seepage pits.
    • CPD does not investigate sewage overflow complaints in areas connected to sanitary sewers. These complaints are referred to the sanitary district, city public works, or code enforcement.​​
  • Noise Pollution:
    • CPD investigates complaints of excessive noise from commercial and residential sources within the unincorporated areas of the county.​ 
    • Please go to the CPD's Noise Pollution program's complaint form to find out if your property is in an unincorporated area and to fill out a complaint form relating to excessive noise.
  • Body Art:
    • The Solid Waste's Body Art program issues permits and inspects practitioners and facilities to ensure that permits are current and valid.
    • The Body Art program will respond to complaints relating to skin infections after getting a tattoo, improperly disinfected surfaces, lack of or missing non-sterile pads, practitioners not washing their hands, and unlicensed facilities and practitioners. 
  • Water:
    • ​The Drinking Water Program oversees the regulation of various water systems including individual (1 connection), shared (2-4 connections), spring, and state small water systems (5-14 connections).
    • The Clean Water Program helps protect local waterways like creeks and rivers, and the reservoirs and bays by preventing pollution from stormwater runoff in unincorporated areas within the County. CWP investigates illegal dumpings or discharge into strom drains or creek, unusual odor near a storm darin, and water leaks flowing into a storm drain.
    • For more information, please visit the Clean Water Program's website​.​​

©2021 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.