In Santa Clara County, there are over 550 nail salons, with more than 5000 nail technicians. A majority of the nail technicians are Vietnamese women in their reproductive years. Every single day, nail salon owners and workers endure prolonged exposure to low levels of toxic products such as solvents, glues, polishes, and unsafe practices that may lead to an increase risk of cancer, allergies, respiratory, neurological and reproductive health issues. Currently, there is a lack of enforceable laws regulating the level of toxin exposure for nail salon workers. In a joint effort with the California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative, Santa Clara County is implementing the Healthy Nail Salon Recognition Program to protect the health of nail salon workers and customers, and to improve indoor air quality.
What is Healthy Nail Salon Recognition Program?
This is a FREE and voluntary program offered to all nail salons in the county. A recognized Healthy Nail Salon offers safer products, safer practices, and proper ventilation to reduce exposure to more toxic products.
Safer products include:
- Nail Polishes and Lacquers without: Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate, and Formaldehyde (known as the "toxic trio")
- Nail Polish Thinners without: Toluene and Methyl Ethyl Ketone
- Nail Polish Removers without: Ethyl Acetate and Butyl Acetate
- Artificial Nails without: Methyl Methacrylate (Banned by the FDA)
Safer practices include:
- Use of nitrile gloves and appropriate respiratory protection when working with thinners and removers, and dust when applying artificial nails.
- Designate a well-ventilated area (by a window or door) to apply artificial nails.
- Installation of a ventilation unit to reduce exposure to fumes produced by nail product chemicals.
Benefits of joining the program:
- Attract more customers once your salon is certified
- Protect the health and well-being of staff and customers
- Reduce indoor fumes and odors
- Free advertising on the county website
- Being recognized in the community
- Your salon may also qualify for a full rebate of select ventilation units for acrylic nail stations
How to be certified as a Healthy Nail Salon?
- Fill out the survey form
- Attend free training classes provided by our staff
- Schedule a site visit with our staff to verify that all criteria are met
- Upon verification, your salon will be recognized as a Healthy Nail Salon!!!
Please fill out the survey form in the link below and email to [email protected], or mail to Healthy Nail Salon Program at 1555 Berger Drive # 300 San Jose, CA 95112. Upon receiving the survey form, you will be contacted to schedule a free training class and a site visit. If you have any questions, please call the Healthy Nail Salon Program hotline at (408) 918-1910.
How can I help?
- Tell your local nail salon about this free program
- Encourage your nail technician to protect his/her health by using gloves, masks, and safety glasses.
- Look for the Healthy Nail Salon logo before using a nail salon's service:
Santa Clara County Certified Health Nail Salons Map